Sunday, August 9, 2009

Using ClassMarker Quizzes in Education

I used ClassMarker to write my quiz.
My quiz URL is http://www.classmarker.com/teacher/edit_test.php?test_id=57678

It is not an original quiz. I copied it from my son's science workbook:
School of Tomorrow. Accelerated Christian Education, Inc.. (1983). Science. 1073.

The is free text (not multiple choice), meaning learners are to type their answers in. It has a time limit of 15 minutes, contains 8 questions, can only be taken once and is to be finished in 1 sitting, will allow learners to go back and change answers, and will let learners finish with some questions unattempted if they are not sure of an answer. It is for summative assessment.

ClassMarker has many variables that can be chosen from to suit a number of testing types. I was lucky that ClassMarker had what I needed to suit my needs. The default settings usually happened to be what I wanted. I chose, for example, to give 1 point for each answer, and what my learners may see on completion - I needed 'score, chosen answers and correct answers'. My questions were automatically added to my question bank. The option is there, as well, to Google search for question ideas or answers.

I am wondering if I could put a Voki in the quizz as reinforcement. I am thinking about Operant Conditioning (Skinner, B.F.) now. The reinforcement is the Voki saying something like "good try, keep going" in response to the correct action (behaviour), that is, writing something down. If the learner's answer is wrong, the Voki would cetainly say "good try, keep going" so the learner is motivated to try again. If the learner's answer is right, the Voki would say "that's right, try for the next point". The reinforcement is positive and immediate at every question. On completion, a secondary reinforcer is a Voki praising the learner for persisting.



Operant conditioning (B.F. Skinner). Retrieved July 18, 2009, from
http://tip/psychology.org/skinner.html

No comments:

Post a Comment